Ever got inspired unexpectedly? What a nice surprise it is!
That happened to me yesterday at my son’s graduation ceremony at Florida State, looking down at him and 1200 other graduates. It was special to sit there, in this huge auditorium, and to watch old rituals that are still followed today.
One of the highlights of the event for me was the ?Commencement Address? presented by Broadway star, Tony Award Nominee, and FSU graduate ? Ms. Montego Glover.
I was touched not only but what she said but also by how she said it ? so sincere, straight from her heart. It felt like we were having a private conversation followed by an honest hug?
Glover shared her five ?Next Level? tips with the graduates. Here is a summary of what she said:
- Stuff your mind and your body with good, nutritious food. When you treat yourself with care & kindness, you show people around you how to treat you.
- Always tell the truth ? on stage and off stage.
- Mind your money ? because your parents, who adore you, don’t want to support you financially for the rest of your life. Always save money, starting now.
- Know that you are one of a kind, that there is no one like you, but that you are replaceable. When you know that, you can stand up for yourself at times, but also step aside at the right time to move forward to your next opportunity, and allow somebody else to take your place.
- Keep your word ? When you say that you’re going to do something, do it. Don’t give your word until you’re positive that you are going to do it.
Glover was talking to young adults, about to start their next chapter in life and to develop personal and professional relationships. But if you think about it, who wouldn’t benefit from following her suggestions?
I love her wisdom. I hope you love it to.
Click HERE to watch Montego performs for President Obama at the Ford?s theatre.
Write me back and share how Montego Glover’s words apply to your life.